Finding fun summertime activities is a breeze this year as community beautification project Beyond Walls returns to Lynn, providing cutting edge art on fresh walls throughout the city.
The second annual mural festival kicks off on August 6th and runs through the 19th, providing free art, entertainment and opportunities to meet and interact with the artists. Last year’s festival had an impactful revitalization effect on the city as the more than 5,000 attendees spent a collective $108,000 at area restaurants and bars while revelling in the artwork. Beyond Walls was such a resounding success, organizers decided to make it an annual festival.
“The feedback from Lynners was overwhelmingly positive,” Al Wilson, founder of Beyond Walls told Itemlive.com. “Artists told us they felt extremely welcomed and they’ve shared that with fellow artists. As a result, the city has made a name for itself among street artists.”
Beyond Walls is a crowd funded event, which makes it a community effort. Artists were paid $1,000 last year, along with a $450 pre-loaded debit card to purchase paint, supplies and transportation. Last year 20 international and national artists were featured and this year promises to top last year’s excitement.
At least 50 plus activities are planned, which includes a night of storytelling, yoga, meeting the artists and even a brewery night. Events are free but you need to register to reserve your spot. This year’s party will also include mixed medium street art and ghost sign restoration too.
Make the most out of the festival week with these tips:
- Have a budget: Buying food and drinks can add up, so have a spending limit before you leave the house. Also, if you plan to attend for multiple days, consider bringing cash with you instead of your Community Credit Union debit or credit card. Using cash will keep your budget in check.
- Utilize free parking: Last year New England Nomad suggested putting “The No Matter What Club” (33 Spring Street) into your GPS to find free parking.
- Prepare for the weather: Because the festival is largely outside, come prepared with a small umbrella as scattered thunderstorms are in the forecast.
- Download a public restroom app: When nature calls you’ll need quick access to a public restroom. Download an app here or here.
- Check out the real estate: While you are downtown, why not do some house hunting if you are in the market for a new crib? Before you go, get pre-approved for a mortgage at Community Credit Union first. Also, read our article here on home-buying.
- Use surcharge-free ATMs: We have a network of surcharge-free ATMs in Lynn and the surrounding areas, so you have fast and free access to cash.